Tuesday, April 24, 2012

There Are Places We Must Go: A Spring Mix, 2012

Here's my spring mix. I'm not sure what to say about it. It lasts less than forty minutes--over ten minutes shorter than my next-shortest mix to date. Many (most?) of you will find many (most?) of the tracks pretty old hat. Stylistically, it's not exactly pushing boundaries.

Still, it matters a lot to me. I've put it together with as much thought and care as any mix I've ever made.*

*Except for my never-released winter mix, which I spent a great deal of time putting together before scrapping it and starting over. I then carefully rebuilt it and refined it, and I listened to it more than any mix I've ever put together. It has some of my favorite hip-hop tracks, my favorite Radiohead song, and some of the best transitions I've ever come up with--and I do love a good transition. Even so it never seemed quite right, and it remains isolated on my computer and on a cd in my car.

[The cover is a poorly composed photo of the Lewis & Clark (plus huddled, loyal-dog-like Sacagawea) statue downtown.]

As always, check the tracklist to ensure accuracy:
1. "I'm the Man Who Loves You" by Wilco
2. "Sweet Thing" by Van Morrison
3. "Darkmatter" by Andrew Bird
4. "Strike" by Destroyer
5. "Oh Yoko" by John Lennon
6. "Autoclave" by the Mountain Goats
7. "Icy Cave Dancers" by Breathe Owl Breathe
8. "Shelter from the Storm" by Bob Dylan
9. "Orpheo Looks Back" by Andrew Bird

Those interested may find my older mixes here. Even older ones--from 2010 and earlier--are archived here.