Wednesday, February 8, 2012

One of those things I'll remember after my grandchildren's names have collapsed into demential sludge

I keep revisiting a few moments from Friday's show.

The girl had her phone up directly between herself and John. I could see her looking at mini-digital-John on the screen. Smiling, off mike, John softly but firmly telling her, 'Put the camera down.'

John slowly quieting into dead silence over a hundred of the 150ish fans in the place.

A moment I didn't witness but Tom told me about: Peter, returning to the stage shortly thereafter, mouthing unrepeatable epithets at the morons in the back of the venue.

'Hast Thou Considered the Tetrapod?' 'No Children.' 'Old College Try.'

And when, as he played the opening chords, he leaned in to chat off mike with a handful of us and then asked us to sing along. Which we did, mightily.