Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Mix 2011

Please download it here. I don't have too much to say about this mix. It didn't end up quite as carefree as I intended, but it's not melancholy.

I'm not sure if I'd have made it without Sean's call for summer mixes. But I do love making them. This is my fifth summer mix in five years.

A few details:

-Just about all of my mixes have ended on a slow/somber/reflective note. I made sure to break that cycle this time around.
-I consider track two the Harold Camping Memorial Song, thanks to the opening few lines of the second track.
-I love the interplay between tracks 10 and 11--both sound-wise and the, I assume deliberate, echo of the lyrics (or reverse echo, I should say, given that that latter song came first).

Make sure your playlist is ordered correctly:
1. "Chinatown" by Wild Nothing
2. "Sour Milk / Sour Water" by Port O'Brien
3. "The Very Modern Dance" by Destroyer
4. "Rush Apart" by the Rural Alberta Advantage
5. "Northern Lights" by Bowerbirds
6. "Trees Are a Swayin'" by say hi
7. "O You with Your Skirt" by Royal City
8. "Country Caravan" by Blitzen Trapper
9. "Waltz #2 (XO)" by Elliott Smith
10. "Canada" by Themselves & WHY?
11. "You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son" by Wolf Parade
12. "Reckoner" by Radiohead
13. "Hat and Rabbit" by Page France
14. "I Can't Explain" by the Who
15. "Busted" by the Black Keys
16. "Nothing Ever Happened" by Deerhunter
17. "Woof Woof" by Dan Deacon